I was looking for something to do with a rather ripe avocado that Stuart had proudly presented me the day before. It was a ‘look what I have found you’ trophy that I had to accept, look pleased about and inwardly think about the 2 that had been sitting in the sun for the last 5 days ripening to the point of perfection…
And so began the thought process along the lines of I wanted a recipe for chocolate chip cookies today didn’t I? Yep. I wanted moist, chewie ones. I’m not overly happy with the current recipe. It has potential but I don’t like the expense of the ingredients, and well it is OK but I’ve made it twice now and not really been 100% about it. I have reached the conclusion that I don’t want double choc chip cookies. They just don’t work for me so it was a single choc chip cookie/biscuit that was needed.
And so I found a suitable recipe on the Australian Avocado (or was it the American Avocado) website strangely enough and went off to raid the pantry for the necessary supplies.
And promptly failed.
What on earth is white whole wheat flour? How can whole wheat flour be white? It never, ever has been on the UK side of the pond and it certainly isn’t on the other side of the world, though it is less brown than I am accustomed to.
OK, lets ignore that and settle on what we have. It then went on to say you can leave out the white whole wheat flour if you use this amount of all-purpose white flour. OK. I know all-purpose flour is self-raising flour. Good I have that, bad its only in the wholemeal variety. No problem, fibre isn’t an issue and I prefer the healthier side of life.
Next came the butter substitution. Can do that with the cooking marg in the fridge that I used all of yesterday when I was making the yoghurt pastry for our evening meal. OK… err perhaps not. What about the light brown sugar and the white sugar. Err, I don’t think we have even bought any of either of those yet since arriving in Australia 6 months ago. This isn’t going well is it?
So what do I have?
- Eggs – yes but I’m not using 2 yolks and (what ) throwing the whites as it actually suggests you do!
- baking soda – check. Purchased last weekend for the yoghurt pastry recipe
- salt – check
- a large avocado – nope, its medium, but if I only eat 1/2 of my remaining half for lunch, then I should have enough
- vanilla extract – sort of. It turns out I have vanilla extract concentrate. Didn’t know it existed but there we go. Luckily seeing a syrup rather than a liquid last time I needed it (and the first time) I did a double take and read the side of the bottle – halve the quantity needed…. phew
- 12 oz chocolate chips – no way. 100g of dark chocolate chopped into chunks. Nothing more. Stingy I know but dairy free cooking chocolate is not cheap and that is half an packet…
So I have failed on 3 fundamentals of cookies, flour (OK not quite a fail), marg/butter – total failure and sugar, another total failure unless you count the small quantity of jaggery or coconut sugar I have… but I do have maple syrup – no I don’t. My OH saw a similar shape bottle and purchased maple flavoured syrup. Yep that’s going to taste good!
Time for some experimentation and recording…
Now we don’t like things too sweet, so you may need more sugar/honey/sweetness in this recipe. We also don’t like things too fatty… so there is not a lot of fat in it, which is why it is no longer a biscuit/cookie and a cross between a scone and a biscuit/cookie.